The absurdity of the use of kph

Image
  First and foremost I apologise (yet again) for such a long gap in between blog posts. The return of freedom over the past year has kept me away from screens. They say it takes 66 days to develop a new habit. Running is a habit I developed over lockdown, but the return to the office (and I intend to never work from home again) and frequenting the pub has reduced frequency of this.  It is, however, not completely bleak for my physical well-being. Cramming a number of social events in after work has led to me doing a lot more walking around central London. I don’t have an Apple Watch, (other brands of smart watch exist), but my iPhone records my steps and a lot of really interesting data on my walking and running. As would be no surprise, I’ve configured everything in metric units. Thankfully, gone are the days where Apple would dictate to you , based on your location, the units of measurement you use. You have a chose whether to specify distances in miles or kilometres. You al

Showing a bit of kindness to the imperial system

I've been out of the blogging game for a while and I do apologise for that. Quite frankly, there's been little to write about that our friends at the UK Metric Association haven't already covered in their blog.

In the world of metres and kilograms, there have really only been two things on my mind. None of them has any immediate impact on getting the UK to be rid of miles and yards on road signs. In fact, neither of them is even getting a mention in this post - you'll have to come back for those.

In recent times, my views on the imperial system have softened ever so slightly. For one, I've grown fond of the pint as a unit of measurement for beer. I'm sure this comes as no surprise. In my visits to the US, I often find myself explaining the difference between an imperial pint  and a US customary pint. My fondness however, has not extended to other archaic liquid measurements, and I explain both pints in terms of millilitres and not fluid ounces (568 ml in the UK vs 473 ml in the US in case anyone was interested).

I've also found myself using imperial measurements in general speech. Not as measurements in themselves, but in expressions. It's no longer uncommon for me to say 'It's so hot today, I've been drinking water by the gallon.'  Previously, I'd have shoehorned litres or cubic metres into that expression just to prove a point. 

Similarly, I've been using a lot of old money expressions. Words like 'farthing' and 'tuppence' very often come up in conversations with me.

Why, you may ask? 

Old measurements and old money are fundamental elements of British culture. I would go even further and say all of these things are part and parcel of the linguistic heritage of all English speaking people. 

However, just like I use the odd reference to the farthing, I still pay for things in pounds and pence. The decimal system of currency is far superior to the old system. A system which I neither understand nor know of anyone who does. 

It's the same with measurements. While I do like a lot of the old-school expressions referring to measurements e.g. 'pound of flesh', I have absolutely no intentions of making the imperial system my primary form of measurement. The simplicity, uniformity and interconnected nature of the metric system make it far superior to the imperial system. 

As nice as it is to say, 'I can see for miles and miles', I would still rather the distance to the horizon be given in kilometres. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the stupidity of the AA

The absurdity of the use of kph

Why cooking in metric is actually better